Gibbs Family Tree

St Dunstan's, Regents Park, London

St Dunstan's, Regents Park, London

St Dunstan's Villa was Henry Hucks Gibbs, Lord Aldenham's London home until he death in 1907. It was built by the Marquis of Hertford, and the name is taken from the two giant wooden figures of Gog and Magog, which formerly stood by St. Dunstan's Church in Fleet Street. In 1915, the then owner American financier Otto Kahn offered the use of house as a hostel for blinded WW1 servicemen - St Dunstan's Hostel for the Blind. Lord Rothermere was the last owner, before St Dunstan's was destroyed by fire in 1936 and bought by Barbara Hutton who pulled down the old white stucco Regency villa and replaced it with a red brick Georgian style Winfield House. This became the American Embassy after WW2.

Matches 1 to 7 of 7    » Thumbnails Only     » Slide Show

   Thumb   Description   Linked to 
1
Christopher_Album_Page-12.jpg
Christopher_Album_Page-12.jpg
 
 
2
Christopher_Album_Page-13.jpg
Christopher_Album_Page-13.jpg
 
 
3
Christopher_Album_Page-14.jpg
Christopher_Album_Page-14.jpg
 
 
4
Christopher_Album_Page-15.jpg
Christopher_Album_Page-15.jpg
 
 
5
Christopher_Album_Page-16.jpg
Christopher_Album_Page-16.jpg
 
 
6
Christopher_Album_Page-17.jpg
Christopher_Album_Page-17.jpg
 
 
7
Christopher_Album_Page-18.jpg
Christopher_Album_Page-18.jpg