Actors, Artists, Artisans and Authors
While the Gibbs families have a rich history of Merchants, Bankers, Soldiers and Clergy, many cousins have channelled their energies into other creative careers or hobbies. To kick this off I have listed a few that I know of, but please do let me know of other family members who would like to be recognised for their talents here, so that we can all share in the creativity of our cousins.
- Andrew Woodall is an actor with the Royal Shakespeare Company, in the title role in Julius Caesar and Enobarbus in Anthony & Cleopatra.
- Pip Bagnall is an English actor, born in Peru, where his parents Claire and Simon are working with the church. He is currently producing a play about Conchita Cintron, the Latin bullfighter, and in discussions with various venues and festivals in South America for a tour in 2019.
- Polly Misch graduated from RADA and recently completed her first professional tour with Jane Austin’s Emma. All the family went to see her last night at the Cambridge Arts Theatre.
- TV presenter and comedian Alexander Armstrong lurks in the remote branches of the tree.
Artists – musical
- Charlie Gibbs-Henny, Sarah’s son, plays drums and vocals in a Brighton band called Jipsy Magic, and got married last year to Holly.
- Tom Misch is having great success with his Tom Misch Band, filling a Somerset House concert, has a great new single about living “South of the River” in London and an album “Geography“, and touring Europe, Asia and USA. Included in Vogue 50 Hottest Boys in the World 2018.
- Laura Misch often accompanies brother Tom on sax, released her own jazz album “Playground” last year, touring UK and Europe and playing at Royal Albert Hall.
Artists – art
- Nicholas Roland Gibbs has had several exhibitions of his works London galleries and the Imperial War Museum, on Balkans conflict paintings and his travels.
- Lucinda Jane Gibbs (born in Zimbabwe, currently living in Paris) shared an exhibition with Nicholas R Gibbs in London last year.
- Leonie Gibbs, (née Fox-Pitt) is a sculptress and a painter living on the north of Scotland on the Belladrum Estate with husband Joe.
- Carol Misch (nee Gibbs), has painted album covers for son Tom Misch, and created a glass double helix DNA sculpture, commissioned in memory of those children who died at the Evelina Children’s Hospital before it was relocated from the Guy’s to the St Thomas’ site in 2005.
- Tony Gibbs has released his first novel, Soul Mates – “ seamless integration of science fact and supposition” as a motoring accident changed everything for Tom. Available on Amazon. Tony mentioned that his nephew Ian (son of Raymond) had just launched a novel on Amazon, but I don’t have any details.
- Lucy Moore (Gibbs) is the author of 9 historical novels as well as a television presenter.
- Davina Merry, Joe Gibbs’ mother, launching her first novel last year at the age of 83: ‘A Girl In Time’ Set over the 1920’s to the 1980’s chronicling the love, loss and betrayal across three generations of family life in and around their grand family home of Merlinstone in Scotland.
- James Woodall is the author of four non-fiction books published in the 1990s, on, respectively, Spain, Argentina, Rio de Janeiro and The Beatles. For over 25 years he has been a freelance editor, writer and journalist, contributing regularly in the past 10 years to publications such as The Economist and The Spectator. Between 2014 and 2017, three new digital books on The Beatles – Kindle Singles – appeared with Amazon. Since October 2017 he has been a Royal Literary Fund Fellow in the teaching of writing at Magdalene College, Cambridge.
- And if you dig deep into the fringes of the tree you can find Mr. 007.